Sunday, September 27, 2009

What's in a Name?

For me, it helps to define my character. My heroine in The Storm Lord's Daughter is easy, since she is a minor character from The Fire Lord's Lover, and her personality is already half-formed in my head. But my hero...he's half elven, lithe, gorgeous and a warrior. I'll be doing a lot of searching for just the right name for him. Since my books are historical fantasy, I also like to use names from the appropriate era, in this case, the eighteenth century, Georgian era. I'll be using reasearch books on my hunt, but I also came across a nifty site that I use to search for names common in different centuries: http://www.thepeerage.com/index_custom.htm These are for the peerage, and it lists the year they held the title, and even different countries. Great resource!

No comments:

Post a Comment