Sunday, October 4, 2009

FOR WRITERS: Free Research Tools

I came across this on RWA's PAN loop, with permission to forward:

Wanted to pass along a new FREE research tool (if you don't count our tax dollars ). From an author on our local RWA loop, I just learned that The Oregonian newspaper has helped spread word about a pilot program called My Info Quest. Anyone can send a question using a cell phone via text messaging and, within 10 minutes, a research librarian will respond via text messaging. The service is staffed by librarians from across the country. Any random question of no particular genre will be answered.To use the service, send a text message with the code WCC before the question to (309) 222-7740 weekdays from 6am to 8 pm and Saturday from 7am to 3pm.More details here: http://www.myinfoqu est.info/

On a related topic, an historical author buddy of mine shared info with me a while back about Multnomah County Library's research line -- you can call or email any question, and they get back to you within a day or two. I've had good luck with, I think, two of my three questions.http://www.multcoli b.org/contact/

I haven't tried it yet, but now when I have a burning question I can't find the answer to, I have more resources in my research arsenal. :} Our RWA authors rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment