Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Love is...

In honor of Valentine's day, I'm sharing this upcoming post I wrote for my Casablanca Authors Blog:

I write about love nearly every day. That sweeping, pulse-pounding, heart-stopping love that happens when you’ve first met your soul mate. I write about heroes and heroines who are larger than life. Who even lay down their lives for love of each other. But in real life, it isn’t very often that we’re required to make such a sacrifice. But sometimes I think what love requires of us in everyday life can be even harder and just as beautiful. It’s all those little things that truly define what love is, and so I’ve compiled my own list of examples of love, and because it’s a broad scope, I included more than romantic love.

Love is…

An eighty-year-old man who looks at his eighty-two-year old wife and says “You’re even more beautiful now than the day I met you.”

When your son gives you a hug because you’ve had a horrible day.

When you call your sister at work and tell her that your father had a stroke while on vacation and her first response is “I’ll be there in fifteen minutes. You pack, I’ll call the plane for reservations…for both of us.”

A man who follows a five-pound dog around the yard at midnight, waiting for the dog to go potty, because the little dog just had surgery and anesthesia, and might fall over and pull the stitches. (The same man who swore he’d never own a dog small enough to be carried off by a hawk.)

When your son tells you that he’s moving out, and you tell him that you’re so proud of him for being independent, and excited for the start of his new life--when all you really want to do is hold onto him, cry, and beg him not to leave.

When you ask your mother, “Isn’t he the most beautiful, smartest baby you’ve ever seen?” And your mother answers, “Yes.” And means it.

When your friend cries harder than you at your father’s funeral. For your loss.

When you stay up all night with your child because they have a fever.

When the touch of your hand makes a child feel better…no prescription required.

When you would make a deal with the devil himself to take away the pain and suffering of someone you cherish.

When you’d rather suffer the pain instead of someone you love.

That huge boulder sitting on your chest, robbing you of the ability to think or breathe, when you lose someone you love.

That contented, joyous feeling after making love to the same person for the thousandth time.

When your child says, “You look tired, Mom. Let me take care of that for you.”

A man who buys you chocolates…just to see the look of bliss on your face when you open them.

Someone you can call at any time to ask for help or advice. And always gives it.

A friend who listens to you…and never judges.

A man who says, “I don’t care what anybody else thinks. Your opinion is what matters to me.”

I’m going to stop now, only because I would like to hear what “Love is…” to you.

Warmly,
Kathryne

4 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful post, Kathryne. I feel blessed every day of my life to have such amazing people in it. I'm so glad we are friends! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! I think this covers all the bases. My husband's grandmother died last night. I looked at my husband, leaning over the bed, his forehead on her cold hand, crying like a baby, and I thought...that's love.

    She was a wonderful person, had more energy than I'll ever have, feared neither life nor death, and she exemplified what I think is so important. Unconditional love. Regardless of personal differences, views or opinions, she accepted a person for who they were. I think that is magnificent.

    And let's not forget about animals. They can bring so much joy. Like coming home to a rowdy puppy who thinks you're simply the greatest thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Anita, thank you for sharing such glorious examples. My best to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete